View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default mansion is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonk View Post
Almost but not quite as far as answers go.

You did not address my last paragraph about people misunderstanding the use of mansion in John 14:2.

Kutilek's article is harsh and a little biased this is true. The use of the Latin word mansion is not at all wrong. But when you acknowledge my last paragraph you will see where he is coming from.

People are NOT preaching about a luxurious living space, they are preaching about your own STAND ALONE MANSION in the modern sense of the word. And therein lies the problem.

I agree. It is not a stand alone mansion. In fact, the very verse itself goes against this erroneous view. It says: "IN MY FATHERS HOUSE are many mansions". There is only ONE House. Yet many mansions inside this single house. What people need to do is simply pick up any modern dictionary and see what the various meanings of the word "mansion" are, and use the one that makes the most sense in the context of the verse.

Mansions is the better choice than the simple "abode" or "dwelling". My advice to people who misunderstand the verse - Learn the English language better. It's a wonderful and varied language and it just so happens to be the language into which God has placed His complete, inspired and inerrant words today and for the foreseeable future.

Will K