View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM

If a person doesn't want to listen to or read behind others I would say they certainly have the liberty to do so, but I have been greatly helped by reading behind or listening to other preachers and teachers.
Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; (Romans 12:6-7)

Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. ((2 Timothy 2:1-2)

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (2 Timothy 4:1-3)

But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; (Titus 2:1-3)
I realize, especially with the advent of the internet, people must be discerning with whom they read behind or listen to which is where Acts 17:11 comes in;
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:11)
I would be willing to say there are probably very few people who read or post to this forum who haven't been helped in their understanding of the Bible by lisitening to or reading behind someone else. I am very thankful for the many men got has raised up who have helped me in learning to rightly divide the word of truth, yet I realize I have the responsibility to take God's Word and check them out. Our American society is built around putting people (athletes, musicians, actors, ...etc) on a pedestal to the point this man-worship attitude has spilt over into the church. I don't think I've ever read behind or listened to anyone that eventually I didn't find something I disagreed with them on. Like so many areas there is a balance here; thank God for the preachers and teachers He raises up, but always check them out with THE Bible.