View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi Ripdood,

I'm glad you started this thread and understand why you started it.

I think you expressed yourself quite well and I appreciate the information you posted about Webster, as well as your comments. I had never heard of the Webster's 1828 Dictionary before I joined this board. I noticed that people like Brandon (Swordsearcher software), Will, George and Matthew Verschuur (Bibleprotector) all prefer to use it over other dictionaries, as you do, and some of the reasons for their preference, so I started using it myself.

I couldn't agree more on your and George's point that we shouldn't use a dictionary to define how words like "shepherd" are used in the Bible. Looking up what "shepherd" means is fine but if we want to come to an understanding of what God means when He uses it we should find every instance of it's use in the scriptures and find the context of each passage.

A pastor follows God and only speaks what is right before God; he doesn't follow a board or teach the private interpretations of his denomination. That is a principle of God in any dispensation.

Jeremiah 17:16 As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right before thee.

If a man makes the comment that a pastor's role is to teach people what to believe and how to live without at least adding "according to scripture" or "from the Bible" it sends up a red flag for me, especially when he fails to qualify his statement after several people state their concerns with it. It makes me wonder if that person seeks to usurp the role of the Holy Spirit and the Holy Word of God over Christian's minds and lives.

Thanks again for making your point in this thread that our final authority is the Holy Scriptures rather than another man's understanding of them .

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.