View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Bro. Parrish

Well Tandi, I absolutely love the Book of Hebrews---I have taught that book in adult Sunday School at least once, and have seen the Holy Spirit use it many times to cut through the clutter of men's nonsense and doubt (Heb. 4:12). Of course we cannot underestimate the importance of the Torah---it's the most holy of the sacred writings in Judaism.

But the Bible is more than Judaism. The basic concept here is this; our Holy Bible is not just another book. It's not just another religious book, or collection of writings. It's different from every other book in existence, and superior because it is the complete revelation of God's love and His plan for our salvation. So I think the reason people question something like this is a basic lack of understanding of what we have in our current King James Bible. I appreciate that you describe your friend as a "true and faithful believer," but I think we can all agree that anyone (Pope or pauper) who questions the validity of entire passages and books of the Bible would have to be placed in the category of "doubter."

Let's face it---there is no shortage of doubters when it comes to the Bible and its contents, even in the halls of many Christian universities. Many of these doubters are all fine citizens, well-educated, well paid and highly intelligent. But all of their doubts together won't add up to a pile of beans when the world is on fire. I would encourage you to order the commentary by Dr. Ruckman on this blessed book of the New Testament so you can help this gentleman and perhaps win him away from his doubt. Your friend needs to understand there are no factual errors in Hebrews, and there is no need reconcile it with other scriptures. The Torah is not our final authority, and if you we going to throw out Hebrews we might as well throw out the entire Bible.