Thread: Anti-KJVO
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
A mark of Wilkinson in KJVO boox subsequent to his is the "Psalm 12:6-7 thingie", which the AV1611 itself proves wrong. In the AV1611 is this footnote for the 2nd "them" in V7: "Heb. him, I. Euery one of them." So, we see, V7 is about PEOPLE, namely David & friends while they were mfleeing from Saul.
In this matter, the footnote in the AV1611 is wrong and so is everyone who agrees with it.

You don’t have to be a linguistic expert to know that sometimes there are exceptions in grammar. In most cases, a masculine plural would not modify a feminine gender. But in the case of Ps. 12:6-7 the masculine plural "them" does in fact modify the feminine noun "words", BECAUSE THE CONTEXT DEMANDS IT! Check it out.

First off, let's look at the context. The entire chapter shows a contrast between the evil words of men and the pure words of the Lord. Here are the preceding verses themselves in the context of vs. 6-7:

1 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men. 2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak. 3 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things: 4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us? 5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him." (emphasis in bold and underline mine)

The hebrew word for "puffeth" is puwach, pronounced poo'akh, which according to Strong's is: a primitive root; to puff, i.e. blow with the breath or air; hence, to fan (as a breeze), to utter, to kindle (a fire), to scoff:--blow (upon), break, puff, bring into a snare, speak, utter.

Verse 4 is the key to the context. The context is evil men who persecute with their tongue against the righteous.

Now look at the contrast:

"6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever."

This chapter is discussing the contrast of the evil words of men as opposed to the pure words of the Lord. God is showing that the effect of man's evil words are temporal, whereas God's pure words are eternal.

If that isn't enough for you, consider the following.

Go to any Hebrew expert and ask them if the following point is not true. And when I say a Hebrew expert, I'm not talking about a Gentile professor in a Christian seminary somewhere. Go straight to the source. Go to an orthodox Jewish Rabbi, who knows the language of the Tanakh from his youth, and who's whole life's duty is to know and understand Hebrew and the Hebrew scriptures. Who can be more authoritative on the Hebrew language than a Hebrew rabbi himself who has mastered the language from his youth up?

My Pastor has the testimony of an orthodox Jewish Rabbi named Rabbi Slater in Savannah, GA who says that sometimes a masculine word can modify a feminine word. To prove this point, he gives the example of Exo. 15:20-21 which says:

“And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.

21And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.”

Notice the words in bold type. We already know the word “them” is masculine. Here’s a really deep question for you. Do you think the word “women” is feminine? The Hebrew word for “women” is “is shah“, a feminine gender according to Strong‘s Hebrew definition. Here you have the case of the masculine plural word “them” modifying the feminine word “women”, BECAUSE THE CONTEXT AND COMMON SENSE DEMANDS FOR IT. There are always exceptions to the rule. (Jack Moorman has an article giving more statements from Hebrew grammar books supporting this same point. Go to http://www.feasite.org/Foundation/fbcpresv.htm.)

More examples of masculine words modifying feminine words can be found are found in the following verses:

Ps 119:111 ¶ Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.

Ps 119:129 ¶ Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.

Ps 119:152 ¶ Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever.

Ps 119:167 ¶ My soul hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly.

There are many other examples that can be found throughout the scriptures but these should be enough to suffice for any reasonable person.

In conclusion, Ps. 12:6-7 is indeed a reference to the preservation of God's words, NOT the "poor and needy". Besides, as a Preacher said one time, “I wouldn’t want to be preserved poor and needy forever anyways.” Neither would I. Would you?