View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcarp View Post

@peopleoftheway

I ask the question as a Bible-believer seeking to get input on a passage I do not understand. I generally do not frequent forums, but have been unable to find any materials on this topic -- hence my joining.

I agree with your comments about fowl coming from the waters (Gen 1:20) and reproducing on the earth (Gen 1:22), but do not understand how you can say that Gen 2:19 refers to Gen 1:22.

Gen 2:19 "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; ..." or to simplify: "...out of the ground the LORD God formed ... every fowl of the air"

The word "formed" is also used in verse 7 - "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." In this case the word "formed" refers to the creation of Adam, not the ongoing reproduction of mankind.

The usage of the word in these two verses and also the general meaning of the word leads me to believe that the word "formed" refers to original creation not reproduction.

Firstly Welcome, I am Glad that you are asking the question as a bible believer, there do tend to be those who join just to post questions that would oppose such a belief. I hope no offence was taken from my testing your motives.

Isaiah 43:7
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

In regards to the quote about the word formed referring to the original creation of Adam, everything in this World and above it was formed by God, for God and as we speak is being formed by God. The passage is referring to life formed from eggs/chicks when Adam had all these beasts and fowl to name, he also would have had to name the young, hence the formation from eggs-chick-fowl.
In My Bible which I had passed down to me from My Grandfather, there is a small statement he has written in the back pages among other notes and it always makes me smile when I read the complexity of the statement yet the simplicity to understand it. It is simply this

God Forms
devil Deforms
Christ Conforms