View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Reply to brother Forrest's Post #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
That makes sense. Were people "saved" by believing the message of the Prophets?

You wrote:
Quote:
"The prophets surely prophesied about "salvation"; God's "grace"; and "what manner of time" these things would happen...."
I realize that they did not know the full message of the Christ as we know it today. But did they know the Christ which God revealed through the Prophets? Did they believe? And was this their salvation?

Aloha brother Forrest,

My answer to your first question: People were "saved" by believing God {for whatever He revealed to them} and obeying (acting on) His word (oral or written). {But He didn't reveal the "Gospel" (that Paul preached) to them. I will have more to say in another Post.}

My answer to your second question: The Prophets did not know the "Gospel" that Paul preached and neither did any of the people who heard them, and so their "salvation" was based on them believing what God revealed to them and their obeying whatever commands that He required of them under the different Covenants. Their "salvation" was not predicated on them "understanding" every word that the Prophets "spoke", their "salvation" was based on believing whatever words God revealed unto them and obeying those words. {None of us understands everything in God's Holy word. Our salvation is not based on us understanding every word that God has written - it is based on whatever truth that God has revealed unto each us from His word. }

Thusly: I do not believe that: "they knew the Christ which God revealed through the Prophets".

You ask: "Did they believe?" Yes, they believed God, but they did NOT know Paul's "Gospel" or the Christ of that Gospel.

You asked: "And was this their salvation?" I don't believe so. Neither the Prophets, nor the people who heard them knew Paul's "Gospel" or the Christ of that Gospel.

Adam was commanded not to eat - just one fruit! When he disobeyed = Judgment & then Grace - There was No "faith" involved on Adam's part in his "salvation" (Pure Mercy & Grace!). Noah was commanded to build an ark! He obeyed and built that boat (by faith), but what would have happened had he failed to obey God's command and though he had "faith", he failed to build the ark?

Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Noah was NOT "saved" by believing the "Gospel" of Jesus Christ (that Paul preached). Noah was "saved" (and "his house") because when God warned him of the Flood that was coming ("things not seen as yet"), he believed God's warning (that is - what God had revealed unto him about the coming Flood) and, though he couldn't SEE any physical evidence of the Flood, by faith he obeyed God and built the Ark. {Believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ (Paul's Gospel) had nothing to do with his "salvation". And by the way, his "salvation" was from the Flood (a physical catastrophe caused by God), not from Hell - that's another matter all together.}

The "believing" is the same under every Covenant, but the "faith" is not - That is why it is so important for Bible believers to "rightly divide" between "BELIEF" and "FAITH".

God has required of everyone under every Covenant and in every "age" that they "BELIEVE" His words {Oral or Written} and OBEY them. We are very fortunate that under the "New" Covenant: All we have to do to get saved is to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, . . . ." {When WE "BELIEVE" in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection and "RECEIVE" Him as our personal Saviour, we have done (obeyed) all that God has required of us (under the "New" Covenant) to get saved} - But, it hasn't always been the "same" for those people (living under different "Covenants") who lived before Christ's death, burial, and resurrection; and it won't be the same for those who are left after we are translated out of this world.

I sincerely hope this may be of some help to you.

Last edited by George; 10-12-2008 at 09:00 PM.