View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxa View Post
...but there were other leaders in the church that definitely believed in three Gods in Heaven, that the Spirit in us was not the Spirit of Jesus, and anyway, just plain radical views of the Trinity.

Hence, my curious question. Not one of you have answered, so I must have asked a question that brought fear.
That saddens me too.

When I compare Matthew 28:19 and Acts 2:38, I find that Name to be Jesus.

When I compare John 2:19-21 and Gal 1:1, I find that Name to be Jesus.

Don't you?

Or not?

Love in Jesus' Name.
No, I do not believe Matthew 28:19 refers exclusively and only to the name Jesus. I believe the name of the one God (not three gods), is clearly identified in this verse:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" (Matthew 28:19).

I believe Acts 2:38 refers specifically to God the Son [Jesus Christ] and God the Holy Ghost.

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38).

I believe John 2:19-21 refers to God the Son [Jesus Christ].

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body.

Finally, in Galatians 1:1, I believe it specifically refers to God the Son [Jesus Christ] and God the Father.

"Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)" (Galatians 1:1).

Scripture bears record in sundry places that God the Father, God the Son [Jesus Christ], and God the Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons of the Godhead but only ONE God. Not three separate gods.

Personally, I see the recurring theme in Scripture, that God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, faithfully direct us to, and exalt, the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ. In no way does this "exclude", "ignore", or "leave out" the specific work of the Father and Holy Spirit.

I use to sense a need in my own life, to give "equal time" and thought to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. In the last seven years or so, I have actually come to understand the great power and blessing that as I "know" God the Son [Jesus Christ], intimately, I know God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.

Doxa, there is no offense taken in any of your comments. You did not ask a question that brought any fear. I hope this answered your question.