View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Doxa

Default The Name of Jesus

I would like to ask you all something. Perhaps I really need to know what others believe on this.
Do you believe that the Name of JESUS applies to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost? Jesus means Saviour, and I would like to know if you believe that His Name Jesus applies to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or only to the Son.
I noticed that many people differ on this very important viewpoint, but if you are willing, I would like to know what you all believe.
Here are some Scriptures that I see, making it obvious to me, but I do realize others have and are coming from a different perspective.
Plus, as for me, I do not think I can take one verse and forget about another; I totally believe that I must take all of Scripture and NOT cut and paste. If I see one Scripture I must take the others as well.

Matt 28:19
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
KJV

Acts 2:38-39
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
KJV

John 5:43-44
43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
KJV

John 16:23
23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
KJV

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
KJV

Furthermore...in the Old Testament God made covenants with man, and a covenant was unbreakable, a Blood Covenant was so important, that if someone broke it, that person had to die.
I believe that Jesus died for us, and HE fulfilled the covenant that Moses and the people made with Him. For what Moses and his people could not keep the Law Contract/Blood Covenant perfectly, we could not either. Jesus took upon Himself the death, what we so justly deserved; HE took our place. But as the Scriptures so clearly point out...Jesus did not end the covenant but fulfilled it.
That is why the beginning of Romans 7 is so important when Paul is talking about the Law. In a marriage vow, the Law does not hold once one of the spouses die...in the same way, when we die and are reborn, we are no longer bound to the Law but are raised to new life.
But to the point, I say all that to say, God did not send someone else to die for us, God shed His Own Blood for us. It was not someone else. In Isaiah it states that God saved us with His Own Arm, not someone else's arm.
Since the Blood Covenant/Law Contract was with God and man, God took our place. What we so justly deserved, He took in our place.

Deut 5:27-29
27 Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.

28 And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.

29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
KJV

Ex 24:7-9
7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.

8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

KJV