View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvEdude View Post
It seems to me that I read that the New Testament Greek that God chose was the koine Greek which I've seen referred to as "the language of the common people". Is this correct or in error?

It is correct that Greek was a "common language," but to assume the New Testament was written in "easy" Greek is 1. irrelevant and 2. speculation. Just ask Peter if the New Testament in Greek was easy to understand:
2 Peter 3:15-16 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
Maybe Peter needed a new version?

Besides, what does this have to do with modern versions? We have a new one every six to twelve months, each one supposedly easier to understand and closer to the original. Does our language become obsolete every year?

Also tell me how changing "God" to "he who" (1Ti 3:16) or removing the Trinity from the Bible (1Jo 5:7) makes things "easier" to understand. If you think this issue is just about updating language, you clearly haven't seen Westcott and Hort's Magic Marker Binge. Does deleting the equivalent of 1st and 2nd Peter from the Bible just make it "easier" to understand in modern English?