View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Why I Believe In The King James Bible

The following essay is the reason why I believe that the King James Bible is God’s Holy Word: Preserved by God – Perfect, Holy, Infallible, Inspired and Without Error. I do not hold this belief because some man or men "convinced" me. I hold this conviction because of What God demonstrated to me from “the scripture of truth” in regards to His Attitude towards His words.

The danger in embracing this “belief” or holding this “conviction” based only on the testimony and/or persuasive arguments of men is that – other men may come along who are more articulate, and more persuasive and more convincing than those men that convinced you, and talk you out of your “belief” or “conviction”. (In the last 40 years, I’ve seen it happen – more than once!)

First off let’s “clear the air” of any misconceptions that may arise. From 1958 – 1968 no man in any of the 10-12 churches that I attended (I was searching) ever once told me of the “Bible Issue”. In 1968 I was introduced to the “Issue” by Dr. Peter Ruckman in several of his books.

Upon further investigation Dean John Burgon (along with Miller, Hoskier, and Scrivener, demonstrated to me “Which” Greek text was the text that God had used and blessed throughout history. Edward Hills demonstrated to me How God preserved that text – through His saints (believer priests – not just the “scholars”) in New Testament “type” churches down through the years. J. J. Ray demonstrated to me the value of “comparing” the modern bible versions with the King James Bible and how they differed with the English text in hundreds of places. David Otis Fuller reprinted the works of some men who had defended the King James Bible between Burgon and Hills (demonstrating that some men had “triedto uphold the words of God from the onslaught of modern “textual critics”.

Brother Peter Ruckman not only introduced me to this issue, he also was the only one of the many men that preceded him to:

#1. Identify and demonstrate the “motives” of the scholars (“scribes”) and textual critics. (Envy & Authority)

#2. Identify the “central issue” of “FINAL AUTHORITY” in a Christian’s or a church’s life. (WHO and WHAT are we to believe and follow?)

Up to this point I still was not convinced that the King James Bible is what I believe it to be today – I knew it was the “best”, but was it: Perfect, Holy, Infallible, Inspired and Without Error? That was still the question that I needed to settle, first in my heart and later in my mind. The following essay is the result of a study that I made in 1971-1972 when I “searched the scriptures” to find out what God had to say on the subject.

One of the first things that becomes apparent in studying what The Bible has to say about Itself is that God has placed WARNINGS in His word about how men are to handle It.

These WARNINGS are found near the:

Front
of The Bible:

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Middle of The Bible:

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

End of The Bible:

Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

There can be no doubt as to the "meaning" of these WARNINGS! ! !

Man is commanded NOT to:

ADD to the WORDS OF GOD!

#2 SUBTRACT from the WORDS OF GOD!

CHANGE the WORDS OF GOD!

I believe that God means what He says: “God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? (Numbers 23:19) We must diligently observe His WARNINGS and faithfully obey His Commands concerning HIS WORDS.

Two very important Biblical Truths that are practically unknown today are that:

#1. God's word is equal to His WORDS. (Jeremiah 1:9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.) John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. John 5:47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words? John 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. John 14:23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

#2. Whenever a man, or a family, or a city, or a county, or a country rejects God's WORDS Evil follows. (Jeremiah 6:19 Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.)

#4 REJECT the WORDS OF GOD = EVIL!

The following is The Bible's own definition of what God's word is:

THE WORD IS

SWEETPSALMS 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

HONEY PSALMS 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

BREADDEUTERONOMY 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

BREAD LUKE. 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

WATER EPHESIANS 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

MILK 1 PETER 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

MEAT - HEBREWS 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

GOOD JEREMIAH 29:10 For thus saith the LORD, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.

PUREPSALMS 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

TRIED
PSALMS 18:30As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

RIGHTPSALMS 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth

POWERFULHEBREWS 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

POWERFULPSALMS 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

TRUTHPSALMS 119:43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.

TRUTH JOHN 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

SETTLED FOREVERPSALMS119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

LAMPPSALMS 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

LIGHTPSALMS 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

VERY PURE - PSALMS119:140 Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.

TRUE PS.ALMS 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

RIGHTEOUS ‑ PSALMS 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

FOREVER ISAIAH 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

A FIREJEREMIAH 23:29Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

HAMMERJEREMIAH 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

FAITHFULTITUS. 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

QUICKHEBREWS 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

A SWORDHEBREWS 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

A DISCERNER - HEBREWS 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

MORE SUREII PETER 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

The Bible is also very clear about what the word of God does.

WHAT THE WORD DOES

TRIES – PSALMS 105:19 Until the time that his word came: the word of the LORD tried him.

CLEANSESPSALMS 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

KEEPS FROM SIN PSALMS 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

STRENGTHENSPSALMS 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.

GIVES HOPEPSALMS 119:49 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.

GIVES COMFORTPSALMS 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

QUICKENSPSALMS 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

UPHOLDSPSALMS119:116 Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.

GIVES LIGHTPSALMS 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

GIVES UNDERSTANDINGPSALMS119: 130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

RUNS VERY SWIFTLYPSALMS147:15 He sendeth forth his commandment upon earth: his word runneth very swiftly.

ACCOMPLISHES – ISAIAH 55:10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

PROSPERS - ISAIAH 55: 10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

JUDGESJOHN 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

SANCTIFIESJOHN 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

BUILDS UP - ACTS 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

WORKS EFFECTUALLY 1 THESSALONIANS 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

SAVESJAMES 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

EPHESIANS 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

ROMANS 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I PETER 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

I do not believe nor do I suggest that the Bible and God are equal, but if a person will compare what the word is and what the word does with the Lord God Almighty Himself, the only possible conclusion that any reasonable person could reach is that GOD and HIS HOLY WORD are INSEPARABLE!

The Bible plainly states what our attitude ought to be towards God's word.

MAN'S ATTITUDE TOWARDS GOD’S WORD

PRAISEPSALMS 56:10 In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.

REBEL NOT AGAINST PSALMS 105:28 He sent darkness, and made it dark; and they rebelled against his word.

TAKE HEED PSALMS 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

HIDEPSALMS 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

NOT FORGET – PS.ALMS 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

KEEPPSALMS 119:17 Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.

KEEPPSALMS 119: 101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.

TRUSTPSALMS 119:42 So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.

HOPE PSALMS 119:74 They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word

HOPE PSALMS 119:81 My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word.

ESTEEMPSALMS 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

ESTEEMJOB 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

WALK IN - PSALMS 119:133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

MEDITATEPSALMS 119:148 Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.

IN AWE OFPSALMS 119:161 Princes have persecuted me without a cause: but my heart standeth in awe of thy word.

REJOICEPSALMS 119:162 I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil.

SPEAKPSALMS 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

HOLD FASTII TIMOTHY 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

RIGHTLY DIVIDEII TIMOTHY 2:15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

PREACHII TIMOTHY 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

DESIREI PETER 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

JOY – JEREMIAH 15:16Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

TREMBLEISAIAH 66:1Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.
4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
5 Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

In order for us to determine what God's Attitude towards His word is we'll have to first look at the importance of His Name.

THE IMPORTANCE OF HIS NAME:

THE WORD OF GODREVELATION 19:12&13
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man
knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDSREVELATION 19:16
And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

MORE EXCELLENT THAN THE ANGELS ‑ HEBREWS 1:4
Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

JESUS' NAME IS ABOVE EVERY NAME PHILIPPIANS 2:9
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

AT JESUS' NAME EVERY KNEE SHALL BOWPHILIPPIANS 2:10
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

AT JESUS' NAME EVERY TONGUE SHALL CONFESSPHILIPPIANS 2:11
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

HE IS FAR ABOVE EVERY NAMEEPHESIANS 1:21
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

HIS NAME DECLARED THROUGHOUT THE EARTHROMANS 9:17
For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

NONE OTHER NAME WHEREBY WE MUST BE SAVEDACTS 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

HIS NAME ALONE IS EXCELLENTPSALMS 148:13
Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.

After reading the above verses as to how highly God regards His Name, what do you think God’s attitude is towards His written word?

GOD'S ATTITUDE TOWARDS HIS WORD

GOD HAS MAGNIFIED HIS WORD ABOVE HIS NAME ‑ PSALMS 138:2

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy loving kindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Finally, let us examine God's Promises concerning His word.

GOD'S PROMISES CONCERNING HIS WORD

PURIFYPSALMS 12: 6
Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

KEEP - PSALMS 12: 6 & 7
Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

PRESERVE FOREVERPSALMS 12: 6 & 7
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

HIS TRUTH TO ENDURE TO ALL GENERATIONS
PSALMS 100:5 Psalms 100:5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

ABLE TO BUILD US UP
ACTS 20:32
Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

ABLE TO GIVE US AN INHERITANCEACTS 20:32
Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

HEAVEN AND EARTH WILL PASS AWAY

BUT HIS WORDS SHALL
NOT PASS AWAYLUKE 21:33
Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

CONCERNING PROMISES - GOD IS NOT A MAN THAT HE SHOULD LIE.

Psalms 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments
endureth for ever.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Psalms 145:17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

Did you know that the New Birth is dependent on the word of God being incorruptible? (1 Peter 1:22-25, James 1:18). If we aren’t sure of what the word is, or where it is – Then what assurance do we have of our salvation?

God’s word isn’t dead; or stale; or old fashioned; archaic; or out of date - So let’s revise it; or change it; or bring it up to date (ala - Madison Avenue). GOD’S WORD IS ALIVE! God inspired it. God caused it to be written. God preserved it. God has guided men down through the ages to preach and teach it. God is using it today, just as He did nearly 2,000 years ago. There is nothing in the world to compare with it!

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE WORD OF GOD!

As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. (Psalms 18:30)

“For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.”(Psalms 33:4)

Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way. (Psalms 119:128)

Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. (John 6:68)

Is it any wonder, that after I completed this study of what God had to say about His Holy word (words) that I embraced the belief and conviction that I now hold? {If anyone were to embark on this same study in the modern versions he couldn’t possibly end up with the same belief or conviction that I hold because of - either the removal (SUBTRACTION) of “key" words: in some of the verses presented or the outright CHANGES to some of the “key” verses (FOUND ONLY IN THE KJB) in support of my belief.

The question for the modern day Christian is - are we going to trust the scholars and scribes? Or are we going to trust God? It’s your choice. After all is said and done, that’s what life is all about – choices. For the lost it’s – will you believe on and receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour or will you reject Him? For the Christian it’s - Do we believe what God has said about His word or do we reject His words and ignore them? That’s what the Christian life is all about – Believing God and obeying Him and serving Him according to His word. It’s your choice!

Last eve I paused besides a blacksmith’s door,
And heard the anvil ring, the vesper chime.
And looking in, I saw upon the floor,
Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.

“How many anvils have you had?” said I,
“To wear and batter out those hammers so?”
Just one,” said he, and then with twinkling eye,
“The anvil wears the hammers out, you know.”

And so I thought, the Anvil of God’s Word,
For ages, skeptics blows have beat upon.
But tho the sound of falling blows is heard,
The Anvil still remainsthe hammer’s gone!

HAMMER AWAY, YE REBEL BANDS!
YOUR HAMMERS BREAK –
GOD’S ANVIL STANDS!