Thread: Study Question
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Re: STUDY QUESTION - Post #1

Re: STUDY QUESTION - Post #1

Quote:
How does one know when they are righteous?

Romans 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

We "know" that we are "righteous" because He is "RIGHTEOUS". For those of us who are "born again" - whatever "righteousness" we possess today (in the age of grace) there is one thing for sure - "it" is not our own! We are "righteous" because He is "RIGHTEOUS" and we are IN him.

Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of ONE the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
Romans 5:19
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of ONE shall many be made righteous.

Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Herein lies the problem with those who believe that we can "lose" our salvation. If I were depending on my own "righteousness", I have reason to doubt and worry. However, I was made "righteous" by God's grace {Romans 5:19} the day I believed; and God has given me "assurance" in this matter because He (God) raised up Christ, and thus I have the hope that one day I too will be raised in His "likeness" - Praise God! I am depending on His "righteousness" to see me through to the end. How can He fail?

Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. ("
him which believeth in Jesus" - Thats me! He "justifies" me because I believed in Him way back in October of 1958.)

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Read and re-read the Books of Romans & Galatians. God deals with the subject of "righteousness" in great depth in these Books. So much so that we along with Peter have to admit:

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

The following are some related verses:

1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Revelation 16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
Romans 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto
righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

There's plenty more - but you get the idea.

I also am in agreement with "
chaplainles":
Quote:
"ditch the Greek Lexicons and compare scripture with scripture"
Here is just one example:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance {"Heart"}

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary

1079. bal (Aramaic)
Search for H1079 in KJVSL lb bal (Aramaic) bawl (Aramaic) from 1080; properly, anxiety, i.e. (by implication) the heart (as its seat):--heart.
See Hebrew 1080

3820. leb
Search for H3820 in KJVSL bl leb labe a form of 3824; the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything:--+ care for, comfortably, consent, X considered, courag(-eous), friend(-ly), ((broken-), (hard-), (merry-), (stiff-), (stout-), double) heart((-ed)), X heed, X I, kindly, midst, mind(-ed), X regard((-ed)), X themselves, X unawares, understanding, X well, willingly, wisdom.
See Hebrew 3824

3821. leb (Aramaic)
Search for H3821 in KJVSL bl leb (Aramaic) labe (Aramaic) corresponding to 3820:--heart.
See Hebrew 3820

3824. lebab
Search for H3824 in KJVSL bbl lebab lay-bawb' from 3823; the heart (as the most interior organ); used also like 3820:--+ bethink themselves, breast, comfortably, courage, ((faint), (tender-)heart((-ed)), midst, mind, X unawares, understanding.
See Hebrew 3823
See Hebrew 3820

5315. nephesh
Search for H5315 in KJVSL vpn nephesh neh'-fesh from 5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):--any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead(-ly), desire, X (dis-)contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-)self, them (your)-selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.
See Hebrew 5314

7130. qereb
Search for H7130 in KJVSL brq qereb keh'-reb from 7126; properly, the nearest part, i.e. the center, whether literal, figurative or adverbial (especially with preposition):--X among, X before, bowels, X unto charge, + eat (up), X heart, X him, X in, inward (X -ly, part, -s, thought), midst, + out of, purtenance, X therein, X through, X within self.
See Hebrew 7126

7907. sekviy
Search for H7907 in KJVSL ywks sekviy sek-vee' from the same as 7906; observant, i.e. (concretely) the mind:--heart.
See Hebrew 7906

Strong's Greek Dictionary

2588. kardia

Search for G2588 in KJVSL
kardia
kardia kar-dee'-ah
prolonged from a primary kar (Latin cor, "heart"); the heart, i.e. (figuratively) the thoughts or feelings (mind); also (by analogy) the middle:--(+ broken-)heart(-ed).

4641. sklerokardia
Search for G4641 in KJVSL sklhrokardia sklerokardia sklay-rok-ar-dee'-ah feminine of a compound of 4642 and 2588; hard-heartedness, i.e. (specially), destitution of (spiritual) perception:--hardness of heart.
See Greek 4642
See Greek 2588

5590. psucheSearch for G5590 in KJVSL
yuch psuche psoo-khay'
from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from 4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from 2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew 5315, 7307 and 2416):--heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.
See Greek 5594
See Greek 4151
See Greek 2222
See Hebrew 5315
See Hebrew 7307
See Hebrew 2416

Does all of the above really help that much? (How long would it take to look up these "private interpretation's" of the meaning or definition word "heart"? - 1 hour - maybe 2 at the most?)

In 50 years of Bible study I have never used Strong's, not even once, like the above. Until Swordsearcher came along, I used Young's or Strong's to look up English words for comparison - I figured since the King James Bible Translators knew at least 1,000 times (make that at least 10,000 times) more than I did about the Hebrew and Greek languages, I would "trust" them (and God) to choose the "correct" English word equivalent to the Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek word.

The following is the Bible definition of the word "heart" - after careful study for over 6 months comparing; collating; categorizing; compiling; and cataloging the approximately 950 occurrences of the word in approximately 850 verses with the English word "heart" or "hearts" in them:

The heart is the center or seat of our1thoughts, 2meditations, 3 considerations, 4perceptions, 5concepts, 6reasoning, 7understanding, 8 beliefs, 9imaginations, 10 fears, 11 doubts, 12counsels,13intents, 14 desires(affections - emotions), and15 pride. The heart is where the 16will resides and operates.

1. Job 17:11; 2. Psalms 19:14;3.Deuteronomy 8:5; 4. Deuteronomy 29:4; 5. Acts 5:4; 6. Mark 2:8; 7. Proverbs 8:5; 8. Romans 10:9-10; 9. Genesis 6:5; 10.Isaiah 35:4,Luke 21:26; 11. Mark 11:23; 12. Jeremiah 7:24; 13. Hebrews 4:12; 14. Psalms 37:4, Colossians 3:2; 15. 2 Chronicles 32:26; 16.Psalms 101:2, Psalms 119:69, Psalms 119:145, Isaiah 32:6, 1 Corinthians 7:37,
Ephesians 6:6
. {See Post #4 > AV1611 Bible Forums > General Chit-Chat > "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he" - or "The Heart of the Matter" on my web site http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com/}

I wonder, with the following verse in mind: {2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.} Which "method" of "study" is God going to bless the use of? 1 - 2 hours of searching out what men "think" a word in the Bible "means", or hundreds of hours finding out what God has to say (comparing scripture with scripture) Hmmm?

This is why I have said (over and over) on this Forum, if there is an English word in the King James Bible that is of any "spiritual significance" at all, I do not rely on Strong's, Webster's, or any other man for the definition. I always compare scripture with scripture - it's God's method {Isaiah 28:10 - 13}. When I get to the judgment seat of Christ I hope that I will not be "ashamed" because I followed His instructions in His Holy Scriptures - I believe it is the "safer" course to follow.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Last edited by George; 05-06-2008 at 06:46 PM.