Thread: Dr. Ruckman
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Not so fast! Part 6 - B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvvv1611 View Post
Due to length... post continued on Not so fast! Part 6 - B
No Jerry... this is not an endless debate; just a long one
Yes… yes Jerry… I’m very well aware of Baptist theory doctrine on baptism with water; an ordinance required for church membership to be administered via immersion to picture the death burial and resurrection of Christ based on some mystical interpretation of Rom 6:1-3. Hmmm… wonder what Baptist church the Ethiopia eunuch was so anxious to join… “See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?” (Ac 8:36). I wonder Jerry if Phillip had time, before being snatched away by the Spirit, to write a letter of referral to some Baptist church for membership? I wonder Jerry, in view of the fact that the 12 disciples were clueless about the death, burial and resurrection of Christ during their 3 years of ministry with Him, what explanation was given to the baptized converts for being baptized via immersion?

Here's a relevant illustration to drive home my point regarding this gospel of the circumcision… When I preach a salvation message Jerry, I don’t preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins making promise to my listening recipients that if they repent God will send Jesus Christ unto them! Illustrated point made?

IV. Gospel of the Circumcision and Gentiles – Acts Period
The focus of the Apostles, as well as they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen, was on the Jews:

Acts 11:19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

Contrary to the what Peter understood the order of progression to be concerning the Gentiles future relationship to Israel (Micah 4:1-3; Zech 14:1-21), Peter found himself using his keys (Mt 16:19) to unlock the kingdom gates for Cornelius and household in Acts 10. Jerry… notice very carefully why Cornelius was a candidate for the words to be shared by Peter and what deduction Peter came to:
Acts 10:1-2 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, 2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
Acts 10:35-36 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. 36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all)
Though not of the household of Israel, Cornelius as did Abel through Zacharias and Elisabeth (Lk 5-6), was walking ‘by faith’! And…before Peter ever finished his message and ask for every head bowed and every eye closed and a show of hands for salvation…and of course ‘Just as I am’ playing in the background…the Holy Ghost was poured out upon them!

Acts 10:44-46 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Still numbed by the experience and once again events being out of sequence according to Peter’s way of thinking… Peter commands them to be baptized in the name of the ‘Lord’; not in the name of ‘Jesus Christ’ (Cp. Ac 2:38 w/10:47-48). Jerry… Peter didn’t even get the privilege laying hands on them as he and John had to for the Samaritans (Ac 8:14-17).

Now… before making my actual point regarding the gospel of the circumcision and Gentiles during the Acts period, there’s a HUGE contrast to be made between what happened in Ac 10 regarding Peter and Cornelius and Acts 13-14 under Paul’s 1st apostolic journey:

Acts 14:26-27 And thence sailed to Antioch, from whence they had been recommended to the grace of God for the work which they fulfilled. 27And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door ‘of faith’ unto the Gentiles.

Jerry… this door ‘of faith’ will come into important play in my next post relating to Abraham as father of the Gentiles.

Here’s where I’m going with this… in Acts 15, after the meeting of the minds including the apostles and elders at Jerusalem, along with Barnabas and Paul over the issue of what Gentiles ought to and ought not to observe, the following was determined and declared by James:

Acts 15:18-21 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. 19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Jerry… what’s the big fuss all about?! Unless… the Jewish Christians were still observing the ‘customs’ of Moses? Notice that Paul was called into question once again over this very issue:

Acts 21:17-25 And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. 18 And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. 19 And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. 20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: 21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. 22 What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come. 23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; 24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. 25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Wow! Believing Jewish Christians keeping the law… Jerry! Hey… why not?! Weren’t the apostles anticipating the return of Christ to establish the earthly kingdom with them judging the 12 tribes of Israel? And… unless you believe in Covenant or Replacement Theology, are there not 9 chapters in Ezekiel (40-48) remaining to be fulfilled? Or… maybe the NIV has once again entered the picture to pervert doctrine; let’s compare:
Colossians 2:16-17 (KJV) 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Colossians 2:16-17 (NIV) 16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
A shadow of things that ‘were’ to come? Hmmm... who wrote this book

Now Jerry… let’s look at one passage taken from above mentioned chapters in Ezekiel and compare:

Ezekiel 46:1-3 Thus saith the Lord GOD; The gate of the inner court that looketh toward the east shall be shut the six working days; but on the sabbath it shall be opened, and in the day of the new moon it shall be opened. 2 And the prince shall enter by the way of the porch of that gate without, and shall stand by the post of the gate, and the priests shall prepare his burnt offering and his peace offerings, and he shall worship at the threshold of the gate: then he shall go forth; but the gate shall not be shut until the evening. 3 Likewise the people of the land shall worship at the door of this gate before the LORD in the sabbaths and in the new moons.

I don’t know your position on a future millennial kingdom Jerry, but I believe it’s real and these Ezekiel passages speak to it. The KJV segregates things pertaining to Israel’s past and future from Christ’s body, while the NIV teaches Covenant/Replacement or a fulfillment theology in Christ.

Jerry… just as James was proving that Paul was walking orderly and keeping law amidst the circumcision, so Paul warned those of the circumcision not to meddle with the uncircumcision in trying to bring them under law… Paul was obedient to the demands of the apostles and elders at Jerusalem in delivering letters (Ac 15:30-31) declaring the Gentiles weren’t obligated to Moses, but did not convey same to those Jews among the Gentiles (Ac 21:21)! Have to pity Paul… he had to walk a fine line when among believing Jews and had to rebuke false brethren trying to impose Moses back on to the believing Gentile. Then… there appears to have been those Gentiles who loved religion more than liberty!

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 4:8-11 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. 9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Galatians 5:1-7 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage….4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace…7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Galatians 5:11-12 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased. 12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

Jerry…there was but one foundation and that foundation was and is the Lord Jesus Christ, but the means, messages and messengers were different thus constituting, as Paul puts it…

Galatians 2:7-9 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Crash Course Summary Deduction

Romans 3:30 (KJV) Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith…

Hebrews 11:8 (KJV) By faith Abraham…obeyed

Romans 4:12 (KJV) And the father of circumcision…our father Abraham

Galatians 2:7 (KJV) …the gospel of the circumcision

Next post Jerry… I’ll tie the uncircumcision origin to Abraham, in the context of Romans, and show exact distinction to how righteousness was to be imputed to these Gentiles as to how righteousness was imputed to Abraham (Gen 12) and the circumcision.

Romans 4:12 (KJV) And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Stvvv1611
2 Timothy 2:15