View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
None of these are more important than pursuing Christ.
Quote:
Instead of concentrating on these critical issues, we are spending our time chewing over (and over) whether brother Peter Ruckman is fit to preach; teach; pastor a church; or should be married!
I agree, but the same goes for people on David Cloud's side. Whose side are you on? Before you answer, read Joshua 5:13-14.
Quote:
It’s about time that we get on with the “weightier matters” and issues that are bedeviling Christians everywhere, and leave the judgment of brother Peter Ruckman up to God Almighty -

George
Agree. Let's close this thread.

I agree with most of what you have said, however there is always a balance in "pursuing Christ". And if we fail to heed that "balance" we would have failed to heed the "whole counsel of God".

Acts 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

{MAN'IFOLD, a. many and fold. Of divers kinds; many in number; numerous; multiplied.}

The following describes the Scriptural duties of an elder/pastor/bishop:

SCRIPTURAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF: {an elder-pastor}

PERSONAL (Inward)

1. PRAYER [Addressed - to God]

2. STUDY [Scriptures – from God]

CONGREGATIONAL (Outward – “the ministry of the word of God”)

3. PREACHING [The Word of God] {PURPOSE: Feeding & Edification – Doctrine & Conduct}

4. TEACHING [Convincing, Exhorting - Sound Doctrine & the Whole Council of God] {PURPOSE: Feeding & Edification – Doctrine & Conduct}

5. WARNING [Against: Leaven (False Doctrine), Philosophy, Vain Deceit, the Traditions of Men, Science-Falsely-so-called, and the Rudiments of the World, etc.] {PURPOSE: Edification– Doctrine & Conduct}

CORRECTION – SCRIPTURAL AUTHORITY & LIMITS OF: {an elder-pastor}

6. ADMONISHING [Advise, Caution, or Notify of a Fault] {PURPOSE - Correction}

7. REPROVING [To Refute, Disprove, or Convince of a Fault or to Make It Manifest] {PURPOSE - Correction}

8. REBUKING [To reprehend for faults; to chide, chasten, check, restrain or silence] {PURPOSE - Correction}

Headings 6 - 8 above describe the absolute LIMITS OF PASTORAL AUTHORITY (“Correction”). All matters of "Discipline" within a church are to be administered by the whole body (the congregation) – NOT an individual elder-pastor, or a board of deacons, or any other extra-scriptural council or committee. PLEASE NOTE: All matters of "Punishment" are to be administered by Almighty God!

In the early church there was no clergylaity set up as in almost all modern day churches. There was no one individual “pastor” over the church, or in the larger churches – a “senior pastor”; “assistant pastors”; “youth pastor”; “Choir Director”; or so-called “Christian Counselors” - dispensing pagan philosophy within the church, or today’s’ modern equivalent - Humanism, Psychiatry, & Psychology.

The leaders in the early church were called elders and were always plural in number and they shared whatever power and authority they had – equally. No division existed between the congregation and elders-pastors. [They (elders-pastors and the congregation) all were brethren – with no distinctions!]

An elder’s (pastor’s) authority over the brethren was, and still is, very limited – spiritual only!

An elder (pastor) is not to exercise dominion over the brethren or over their faith!

As you can see: It's easy to say "None of these are more important than pursuing Christ". However, it's a bit more complicated than that - especially when another brother in Christ and his ministry is being maligned by someone who doesn't know that much about him.

I am on no man's side. I follow no man (pastor, teacher, scholar, etc.). My head is the Lord Jesus Christ, and no one else. I seek to be on God's side and the side of truth. I never introduced this thread on Peter Ruckman - but since I joined this Forum, I have tried to defend him against malicious attacks and petty criticism.

The day that the criticism and unprovoked attacks stop, is the day I will cease to defend him. Until then I will try my utmost not to mention him or his work again.

Yours for the Lord Jesus Christ and for His Holy Word,

George