View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Aloha Bro. George,
Do you mean to say that it is wrong for me to forbid anyone in my church to speak in tongues today?
Aloha brother Sammy,

Good Question! And one that I have never been able to fully answer to the satisfaction of the Questioner (and even myself) - but here goes:

Since tongues are for a "sign" and is one of the "sign gifts" and since the Jews are the people who "require" signs - I believe that it is proper, at this time (in the age of Grace), to forbid any "healer"; "tongue speaker"; "serpent handler"; "exhorcist"; etc, from "performing" in the church.

(I have never had this problem in a church, since I left a Pentacostal church back about 1965.) If tongues are going to be used in the Great Tribulation Paul couldn't proscribe them. In addition, if God was still dealing with the Jews as a people rather than individuals then God was still obligated to give them signs.

As an aside: At least some of the sign gifts are described in Mark 16:15-18.

To be perfectly honest - this is one of many questions that I don't have a real good answer for. And I was pretty sure that you were going to ask it!