View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revangelist View Post
Beth and Atlas, Here's your answer....

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Remember, in Acts 2, when they sopke in tongues the first time, they were in a prayer meeting. Acts 2:5 has them exited the upper room, and outside.

Here is another answer...

1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1 Corinthians 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

This is talking about praying in tongues, in which the particular language isn't specified.

Disclaimer: This in no wise validates everyone who speaks in tongues. There are many sources of tongues-speaking. I've shown Biblical tongues as:

1. Praying in the Spirit (1st Corinthians 14:2)
2. Speaking in an unlearned human lnaguage (Acts 2:8)
3. Tongues and interpretation in a church service. (1st Corinthians 14:5)
Are you saying that when you speak in tongues you are simply repeating babblings? this is easy to do. What is miraculous, is to speak in a known foreign language without having been taught that foreign language, which was the case on the day of Pentecost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia
ERROR # 4: TONGUES IS A HEAVENLY PRAYER LANGUAGE.

When it is noted by outsiders that the modern tongues spoken commonly in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles is not a known earthly language, it is replied that they are speaking in a heavenly prayer language.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES:

The tongues spoken in the early churches were real earthly languages (Act 2:6-10). According to 1Cor 14:2, tongues speaking was the giving forth of mysteries, which refers to revelation. The term "mysteries" in the N.T. refers to things that were hidden in O.T. times but are now brought to light (Rom 16:25-26; 1Cor 2:7, 1 Cor 2:10; Eph 3:3-5; Col 1:26). This is what we see on the day of Pentecost. Those that heard the disciples speak in tongues on that day said, "we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God" (Act 2:11). Biblical tongues were languages, not some sort of unintelligible mutters.