View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Default Re: " Is water baptism for today?"

Brother Tony said:
Quote:
1Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

"Brother George, that's Scripture with Scripture and pretty well closes the case for "following the Lord in believers baptism", though I am sure it won't close the discussion."
Aloha brother Tony,

"I am sure it won't close the discussion." How right you are. Your arguments are very persuasive - but not persuasive enough. In the absence of a clear COMMANDMENT (in either Testament) - NOT to Baptize, I will continue to believe that water Baptism is still a legitimate ordinance for a New Testament church.

I do not believe that John's Baptism, or the Baptism practiced in the early part of the Book of Acts is the SAME as that practiced by the Apostle Paul.

Your citation of 1 Corinthians 1:17 in and of itself, is not very persuasive, if considered in "context".

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

In the context, Paul is thanking God that he only baptized a few of the Corinthians believers, because of the dispute that was going on in the Corinthian church over WHO baptized so and so, and whether they had been baptized by Apollos, or by Cephas (Peter); or by Paul.

Paul was just thanking God that he that he never baptized a lot of the Corinthian brethren, for, if by him baptizing them, they then bragged about WHO baptized them and started causing divisions amongst the brethren over their baptism, he didn't want to have any part of that division, even though He, Apollos, and Cephas were not the cause.

The context has nothing to do with Paul NOT recommending baptism, or with him saying that water baptism should no longer be practiced; it has to do with Paul not wanting some of the Corinthian brethren going around causing divisions simply because Paul baptized them. {Christian "celebrities" have been around since the beginning of the church, and Paul wanted NO part of it!}

Paul's emphasis was on preaching the "Gospel" [1 Corinthians 1:17] and NOT on Baptism, and if his baptizing a believer was going to cause them to "stumble", he would have just as soon have someone else do it.

Although we disagree on this one, I still count you as a dear brother, and I certainly have enjoyed your Posts. You have a unique and different "take" on many Scriptural issues, and I have been edified by many of your comments.