View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Brother Kiwi, I think you may have hit it on the head:
this is the first thing that came to my mind, from our beloved KJV,
Daniel chapter 3:

23 And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.

24 Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonished, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.

25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

26 Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, and spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come hither. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire.

27And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king's counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.
That's good brother, I also thought of Psalms 139:8, but that's an obvious reference to God's omnipresent Spirit and not Christ's soul:

Psalms 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
The other thing (for me) is the fact that the torment of hell does not cleanse anyone there of sin. People damned to hell are there forever with no hope of being cleansed of their sin.
I made reference in my first post here that Christ "purged" our sin in the fires of hell, for purging in the Bible is connected with fire.

Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Websters definition of purge: "To cleanse or purify by separating and carrying off whatever is impure, heterogeneous,foreign or superfluous; as, to purge the body by evacuation; to purge the Augean stable. It is followed by away, of, or off. We say, to purge away or to purge off filth, and to purge a liquor of its scum."

See also Isaiah 6:7, Malachi 3:2, Matthew 3:12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
How Christ left our sin in Hell may be a mystery, but since suffering and torment do not have anything to do with removing sin, what cause is there to assume Christ was tormented there for it?
There isn't really a cause for assuming that, and the more we discuss it the less I'm thinking He was. Certainly the phrase "He tasted death for every man" warrants further thought though.