View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
...I would be interested to hear Ruckman's position on this. I have his sermon on Heaven and Hell, as well as his commentaries, but I don't recall him ever saying Christ was burned or "roasted" in the fires of Hell.

As far as his reason for being there, I think it was a time for PREACHING, not suffering.
I appreciated your answer brother, thank you.

I've just read through the pertinent passages in Ruckman's Act's, Ephesians, and Hebrews commentaries and following is what he teaches.

From Acts commentary pages 106-108:

If Jesus Christ did not go down to (and through) Hell, as in a "place of torment" (see Luke 16:28!), WHERE are your SINS? Where are the sins of the believer right now? I mean, right this minute?! WHERE ARE THEY?

Did you ever read Hebrews 9:28?
Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
1. Jesus Christ went "into the lower parts of the earth" before HIS resurrection. These lower parts include a Hell where a man is "TORMENTED IN THIS FLAME" (Luke 16).

2. If Jesus Christ went only to Abraham's Bosom and then returned with the captives, what did He do with the sins that were "IN HIS OWN BODY" (1 Peter 2:24)?

3. Why are we told that the second time He appears "WITHOUT SIN" when the context (of Heb 9:28) is bearing sins?

4. If Christ bore your sins in His own BODY and became SIN for you (2 Cor. 5:21) to the point of being made a curse (Gal 3:13), what did He do with your sins?

You're dealing with one of the greatest doctrines in the New Testament where it touches the salvation of the sinner: the completion of the atonement for sins.

Our sins are where they ought to be - in Hell.

We are not speaking of the time of the atonement; we are speaking of the things that followed the atonement. The scapegoat of Leviticus 16 "bore the sins" away, in type. But Jesus Christ did not merely bear them; He carried them SOMEWHERE.

From Ephesians commentary Page 272:

It was Christ's SOUL (Isa 53:10) that was the offering for SIN, and His SOUL was sorrowful "even unto death" (Matt 26:38)

--------------------------------------------

Dr Ruckman doesn't specifically mention Christ suffering in hell, but he does confirm that Christ's soul was made an offering and that while in hell He deposit our sins there. So he provided the answer to the title of this thread "Did Jesus go to hell for us?", yes He did.