AV1611 Bible Forum Archive

AV1611 Bible Forum Archive (https://av1611.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bible Studies (https://av1611.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Discpleship in Paul's Epistles (https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235)

CKG 05-11-2009 02:46 PM

Discpleship in Paul's Epistles

The word “disciple” is used 226 times in the gospels yet never used in Paul's epistles. It’s interesting that Paul never says if you will do something you will become a disciple, but rather he exhorts us to walk based on what is already fact; in light of the truths of what has already been accomplished through the cross of Christ.

Fredoheaven 05-11-2009 03:46 PM

Terminology

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKG (Post 19582)
The word “disciple” is used 226 times in the gospels yet never used in Paul's epistles. It’s interesting that Paul never says if you will do something you will become a disciple, but rather he exhorts us to walk based on what is already fact; in light of the truths of what has already been accomplished through the cross of Christ.

Disciples are called followers. In the New Testament, it may applied to the followers of John the Baptist(Matthew 9:14) or our Lord Jesus Christ (Matt.16:24;Matthew 8:23;). In the sense, these disicples followed the lifestyles of their leader. For Paul, he still carried the idea of discipleship when he said in "be ye followers of me" (1 Corinthians 4:16). Why Paul did not use the term "disciple"? Simply because, he was not chosen by our Lord Jesus Christ during His earthly mininstry (Matthew 10:1). The terminolgy may be differrent but the meaning and the application is still the same. God bless...

Matthew 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

CKG 05-11-2009 08:29 PM

I think it also had to do with Jesus' earthly ministry being mostly before the cross and the new birth. The perspective of Paul's writings (which he received from Jesus) were after the cross and were directed towards those who had been saved and born again. The thrust of his teachings were now that you are saved, these things are now true of you (sins forgiven, born again, sealed with the Spirit, righteousness of Christ, dead to sin, new creature....etc); now walk in the light of these truths as opposed to:
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26-27)
Also those born again are sealed with the Spirit unto the day of redemption while not all of Jesus' disciples continued with him.

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. (John 6:66)

Forrest 05-12-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKG (Post 19601)
I think it also had to do with Jesus' earthly ministry being mostly before the cross and the new birth. The perspective of Paul's writings (which he received from Jesus) were after the cross and were directed towards those who had been saved and born again. The thrust of his teachings were now that you are saved, these things are now true of you (sins forgiven, born again, sealed with the Spirit, righteousness of Christ, dead to sin, new creature....etc); now walk in the light of these truths as opposed to:
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26-27)
Also those born again are sealed with the Spirit unto the day of redemption while not all of Jesus' disciples continued with him.

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. (John 6:66)

I see this truth also. And now..."For me to live IS Christ." I am complete in Him. Fulfilling Christian duty is simply a spontaneous result of devotion to Christ. Obeying Him is a result of first loving Him. Paul preached the preeminence of Christ and his teaching is always subject to this one truth and finds power and significance in Christ.

His passion was to simply know Christ which resulted in a changed life. That's what he preached. It is not in our "doing" but our "being." What are you a pupil of? A disciple of? Methods or the Master? Programs or the Person of Christ? Good systems or the Good Shepherd? Standards or the Saviour? Follow Christ. Learn of Him. Yield to Him. Know and love Him.

Brother Tim 05-12-2009 12:53 PM

:amen: and :amen:! Brother Forrest. Well said!

chette777 05-13-2009 01:32 AM

that being true Paul never used the term Born again either. it is only used by Christ quoted by John in his gospel and Peter.

CKG 05-13-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chette777 (Post 19670)
that being true Paul never used the term Born again either. it is only used by Christ quoted by John in his gospel and Peter.

He does sort of kinda alude to it.

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
(Romans 8:9-11)

Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. (2 Corinthians 1:22)

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (1 Corinthians 6:19)

This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Galatians 3:2)

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (Galatians 3:14)

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. (Galatians 4:6)

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise (Ephesians 1:13)

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man (Ephesians 3:16)

He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit. (1 Thessalonians 4:8)

chette777 05-13-2009 06:03 PM

I never said he didn't allude to anew life. I simply made the observation that He never used the term Born Again try not to interpret that wrong.

But why would an Israelite need to be born again? John 3

CKG 05-13-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chette777 (Post 19714)
I never said he didn't allude to anew life. I simply made the observation that He never used the term Born Again try not to interpret that wrong.

But why would an Israelite need to be born again? John 3

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (John 3:3)
But I'm still not sure what your post has to do with the intent of my original post.

chette777 05-14-2009 07:31 AM

just that Paul does not use certain words yet the allusions are there. like discipleship

it was just an observation of what you said in post #3, "The perspective of Paul's writings (which he received from Jesus) were after the cross and were directed towards those who had been saved and born again."

you used the words Born Again in connection with Paul's ministry but Paul never uses those words in any of his writings but Jesus did use it. you have a reason for discipleship not being used but none for Born Again. So I just made a point Paul never used the words Born Again in Post #6.

My later question was brought out as to why a Jew or Israeli would need to be born again. I know Jesus used the generic term Man but the context is before the cross, and his ministry was to the men(generic) of Israel.

There is a good reason. seeing they were born into a chosen race physically and trusted in that to have favor of God, so being Born Again Spiritually would be on course for a Jew that is the context of John 3.